Thursday, June 10, 2010

Traveling to Jo'Burg

Travel started in Houston. Boarded our flight to Dubai at 6:00 pm Houston time. Ended up sitting next to the dad of an elementary(middle/high) school friend. That was a bit strange. This was my first overseas flight. One thing I learned....the middle seat on a 15 hour flight sucks....big time. Emirates does have a nice built in entertainment system. I was able to watch 3 movie: When in Rome, The Lovely Bones, and It's Complicated. A couple others I tried to watch but the audio was off with the picture...so went to the others. Had plenty of food on the flight along with a blanket! YEA! Although this was one of the first flights were I wasn't actually cold....I was more on the warm side. That didn't help when I tried to sleep. I attempted to sleep and ended up taking an ambien...it put me to sleep but wasn't able to sleep long because I just wasn't comfortable.

We landed in Dubai at about 7pm local time. The airport here is very cool. Went from the airport to a hotel for the layover. Once there I showered and then headed to the pub downstairs. Had a few beers then decided to try out the hotel buffet as they had given us free dinners and you can't pass up a free dinner. We filled up and then went back to the room. Decided to go ahead and sleep for the few hours till our 2 am wake up call. So here we are now. It is 3:19 am here in Dubai. We are set to board the plane in about 30 minutes. After that we have a nearly 9 hour flight to Jo'Burg. Very excited to get there.

On our flights from Houston to Dubai and now to Jo'Burg, there have been quite a few USA fans. I'd estimate 20...although there have been others who we've met who weren't in USA gear...so they may be traveling incognito. There were 2 Mexico fans as well as a family of Netherlands fans. I have actually met them before as they attend Dynamo games and were some the first people to buy a koozie from me back in February at the Dynamo Stadium rally.

I am going to wrap this up now so I can get ready to board the flight. Thanks for everyones well wishes!!! I am very excited to finally get to South Africa and REALLY get this trip started...with a USA WIN on Saturday!!

***As I am going to try to post as often as possible...and will probably be typing quickly whenever I have a chance, there may be typos, etc. Please excuse them for now. Thanks!!

2 comments: